Monday, June 16, 2008

2 Weeks to Go

June 28th is rapidly approaching. I took MGMAT #5 and got a 680...a bit down from MGMAT #4 (700). My verbal held steady at 41, while my quant dropped back to 41. It's very clear that quant is my weak area...I feel fine going through practice sets in OG11, and get the overwhelming majority of them correct. For some reason, doing the Q portion of the MGMAT tests kicks my butt! I don't get it. I'm going back through the MGMAT books, to sort of kick-start my brain and bring me back above the 70% mark, which I clearly need to get a 700 or higher. Pretty soon I'll start with the GMAT Prep tests that you get when you sign up for the test. I've heard they are the most accurate representation.

On a side note, yay me for getting mention in last week's Fridays From The Frontline on the Clear Admit Blog. People do read this! Yay!

I'm up for a new position at work, moving more into a marketing/analysis role than the data role I've been in for the past 2 years. I know this may look strange on my application, that I'm taking another job (albeit within the same company) so close to application time. I just don't feel that, because I plan to apply to an MBA program in the fall, to begin in fall of 2009, I should pass up any other growth opportunities until the app season sorts itself out. I think the only downside that can't necessarily be explained is why I'd put my firm in a position where they put me in this job, train me, and I leave in a year. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

goneguru said...

Good luck on your test! You'll do well. The MGMAT CAT is pretty tough!

Micah.Brafford said...

I am in the same boat as you. Looking at fall of 2009. Take the advancement in position. It can only help the application. Plus it might make you look like you are making an even more difficult decision to go back to school

tinydancer said...

Don't even worry about taking the new position. Bschools would absolutely want you to take the opportunity. Because the alternative is to not take it ... because you are applying to schools? If you were leaving your current employer it might be a little different, but I assure you that many successful applicants do that to. It's all about how it fits into your master plan. If you can't explain it, that's the only time you'll have a problem.